Friday, February 19, 2010

Update on Owen


Owen has been very sick this week, and is now finally improving!

**A little runny nose, but all in all much better:) **

Sean took O to the doctor on Wednesday (10th) and Owen had a double ear infection and was put on antibiotics for 5 days. The doctor also said that Owen was at the tail end of Bronchiolitis, and that should be cleared up by the end of the weekend. Well...Owen got WORSE! Despite the antibiotics, Owen ran a high fever with bad wheezing coughing fits. His coughing fits were convulsive, and seemed to be painful for him. On Saturday /early Sunday morning, Owen woke up screaming, and was burning up! He had a temperature of 103, and he was soaking wet. The remainder of the night / early morning he and I had a slumber party in his room on the floor. On Monday morning (15th) I took O to see the doctor. His Bronchiolitis had gotten severely worse, causing O to have bronchospasm, and coughing fits that were similar to asthmatic attacks. Plus, his ear infections weren't touched by the original antibiotics. (The fever he ran over the weekend was due to the double ear infections). Good Grief!!


**This photo was taken on Sunday Night...He doesn't usually get his passy unless it is bedtime, and he was so miserable that we gave it to him. It was the best thing at the time for him. Also you can tell by the way his eyes are shaped, that he is miserable. He was still running about 102-103 fever here...I look at this photo and I am so THANKFUL he is feeling better!!!

So Owen was put on a nebulizer (In medicine, a nebulizer is a device used to administer medication to people in the form of a mist inhaled into the lungs. It is commonly used in treating cystic fibrosis, asthma, and other respiratory diseases. There are different types of nebulizer, although the most common are the jet nebulizers, which are also called "atomizers".[1] Jet nebulizers are connected by tubing to a compressed air source that causes air or oxygen to blast at high velocity through a liquid medicine to turn it into an aerosol, which is then inhaled by the patient.) with albuterol(Albuterol is a bronchodilator that relaxes muscles in the airways and increases air flow to the lungs. Albuterol is used to treat or prevent bronchospasm in people with reversible obstructive airway disease.)

So I had to administer these breathing treatments to Owen every 3-4 hours this week. Needless to say I have been off work the entire week taking care of my baby boy! He is finally improving today, and the wheezing is subsiding. He is running a mild fever, and he is coughing much less than earlier in the week.

On top of the breathing treatments, he was put on Prednisone, (To strengthen his weakened lungs) and more antibiotics for his ear infections. On top the of these medications, he had 2 shots of Rocephin ( 1 on Monday, and 1 on Tuesday) for both his ear infection and the respiratory infection. Good Grief!!!

I am so LUCKY to have an amazing Pediatrician who took the time to explain everything to me on Monday, and make sure that we were on the same page.

Nothing is more scary than having your baby be as sick as he was. I was plagued with fear on Sunday night when he was wheezing and coughing so badly! Praise be to God who got me through that hard night, and God got me through the rest of this week. God has been so good to me and my family, and I can't thank Him enough for healing my precious baby boy, Owen. Thank you all for your prayers, and your continued support as I walked through this hard week.



2 comments:

Lisa said...

No fun!! So glad he is feeling much better now. We know all too well way more information than I ever care to know about breathing treatments and ear infections. I hope this is the end of his illnesses!!

ps... is your pedi my old pedi? Dr. L? Just curious... we loved our all pedi!!

E said...

So glad he is doing better. God is so gracious, isn't He? He meets us right where we are!